Does goal setting leave you feeling overwhelmed and stressed?
You’re not alone.
What if goal setting could make you feel energized and excited instead?
“Goals provide the energy source that powers our lives. One of the best ways we can get the most from the energy we have is to focus it. That is what goals can do for us; concentrate our energy.” ~Dennis Waitley
Many moons ago I discovered a process that has made goal setting MANAGEABLE, ENERGIZING, and EXCITING.
The truth is that we GROW and BECOME STRONGER as we stretch toward goals.
The loftier the goal, the greater our potential for GROWTH and TRANSFORMATION (so long as it doesn’t cause us to feel too overwhelmed).
Let me share the ORGANIC PROCESS that I personally use with my coaching and strategic planning clients.
First of all, maybe you’ve heard the old adage, “How do you eat an elephant?”… “One bite at a time.”
The same adage applies to the CASCADING EFFECT OF GOAL SETTING.
Think of goals more as a process than as a destination.
Here is a 7-Step Process that will expand your business and life:
- CLARIFY YOUR PURPOSE, VALUES, MISSION, AND VISION so you can focus your goals on what is most important to you and your organization. See my previous article, Focus on What Matters Most.
- Identify the overarching THEMES or FOCUS AREAS that you want to improve or expand.
- Once you have identified the Themes and Focus Areas, ask yourself, “Which GOALS should we focus upon in order to improve or make strides in that area?”
- Then ask, “What are major milestones that need to be achieved in order to accomplish each Goal?” These milestones become your OBJECTIVES.
- Next, what needs to be done in order to accomplish the Objectives? These milestones become your STRATEGIES.
- Finally, identify the TACTICS or ACTION PLAN steps that need to be completed to achieve each Strategy.
- ENJOY THE PROCESS of stepping toward your goal and being flexible enough to mold the action plan to adjust to changing circumstances and the unknown. Don’t wait for the final outcome to celebrate. Celebrate each milestone along the way.
Example of the Cascading Effect of Goal Setting
- GOAL 1: By the end of the year, increase employee participation by 25 percent in the wellness program.
- OBJECTIVE A: By mid-year, increase employee registration by 15 percent for the weight loss challenge program.
- STRATEGY 1: Work with Department Managers to inform employees about the weight loss challenge program by 4/30/23.
- TACTIC A: Provide all Department Managers with a fact sheet about the weight loss challenge program to distribute to employees at weekly staff meetings by 5/31/23.
Enjoy this dynamic, effective cascading process for accomplishing your goals.
Much success and fulfillment,
If you enjoyed this article, I think you’ll also enjoy these articles too:
- The Power of Purpose
- Creating a Culture with Core Values
- Generate Mission-Centered Enthusiasm
- Expand Your Power and Influence with Vision.
- Focus Your Attention on What Matters Most
Also, check out my FREE online class will shine more of a light on Goal Setting and other elements of strategic planning…
I am happy to talk if you have questions or want assistance with strategic planning. Click this link to schedule a free 30-minute energizer Zoom call.